Home About Me FAQs Races Contact

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Recent Reads

I am a book worm. (Second post in a week about books. Just sayin'.)

It started when I was about 7 years old and I had (what seemed like) an infinite supply of The Babysitters Club Little Sister books (Karen was like, my BFF) and I would keep my nose in these books for days on end. 15 years later, my obsession has not subsided (at all.) and I would still rather read in bed all day than go out and socialize with the cool people my age.

Sorry, I'm not sorry.

Anyway, I've read a bunch of books that have been absolute page turners over the past few weeks that I thought I would share with you guys! (Along with one of my many many many good quotes from each!)



1. Delirium Trilogy by Lauren Oliver - I heard so many good things about this series (and apparently they made a TV show pilot episode that was trying to get picked up by Fox... It didn't... Thoughts??) and was thoroughly impressed until the last chapter of the last book. I don't think I've ever been more angry at an ending. Regardless, it's a good concept and a good series. It's a dystopian series (think along the lines of the Hunger Games and Divergent) where love is considered a disease. Girls and boys are kept mostly separate until they're "cured" at age 18. Once you're "cured" by a brain intrusive medical procedure, you can't catch the 'deliria' (love). But it also changes your mentality; fun and old memories really stop mattering. You also get paired with someone (to marry) based on a personal evaluation. Affection really doesn't exist even with your partner and children. With this book, I like the concept (I'm just a sucker for dystopian societies... sue me!) and I like all the twists and turns throughout the series. This is definitely a page turner. I couldn't put any of the 3 in this series down. Don't let my hatred for the ending skew your judgement; most people would probably love the ending.

2. Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld - The only way I know how to describe this book is that it has "How I Met Your Mother" syndrome.... It's basically one long pointless story just waiting to find out the end. However, I still enjoyed it. (And I got it from the '3.99 or less' page on iTunes, so that's always a plus!) It's about a girl who goes to boarding school (on scholarship) for all 4 years of high school. And the reason I liked it so much is because the main character, Lee, is so ridiculously like myself, only more extreme! She's so socially awkward that you can't help but root for her, but you also want to just punch some confidence into her. Admittedly, there were times where I felt almost identical to Lee. I'm constantly people watching or just inside my own brain a majority of the time that I'm oblivious to everyone around me. And that's basically the entire book -- viewing the world from her introverted, prep school perspective.

3. Matched Trilogy by Ally Condie - More dystopian fiction. Gotta love it. Only this time, the Society controls everything. Everything. Food, clothing, school, work, recreation, and your Match. You get Matched at 17 to someone, and that's who you end up with. Simple as that. I liked this trilogy because I didn't feel like it was over the top. Yes, Society controls everything, and that's a bit extreme. But it wasn't like crazy fight to the death games or forced medical procedures or anything weird. It was the most normal (and least violent), futuristic form of dystopian society I think I've read so far. And the 3 main characters... All equally amazing. Even if you aren't into Hunger Games/Divergent/Delirium types of books, I'd still recommend this because it's the most realistic and natural.

What have you read recently that you enjoyed or would recommend? (And if you want to nerd out with me about any of these books/series, email me! As always, I'd love to hear your opinions!)

1 comment:

  1. I keep hearing about Delirium and Matched! Have you read The Giver? it's for younger audiences - we read it in 6th grade - but it's the book that sparked all of these books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love reading what you have to say, so feel free to leave a comment!