Home About Me FAQs Races Contact

Saturday, September 22, 2012

Goodbye, Summer!

Tomorrow is the first official day of autumn, even though you'd never know it in Florida. It's still muggy and gross and HOT. None of that "oh my run was actually a bit cool and brisk today" for us. That won't happen until..... well... NEVER.

But it dawned on me that this was my last summer in Florida. Tomorrow is the start of the season where my whole life literally changes. And what better season for such a change? Everything is transitioning: the weather (of course not where I live), the seasonal aisles at Target, Starbucks coffee flavors...and now my home!

I reflected on everything that happened this summer. And even though I didn't travel the world, swim with sharks, or compete in the Olympics, a lot did happen that made this a great summer!

I got off a ship that I lived on for 4 and a half months! Okay, so this was technically in the spring time, but I'm counting it as the beginning of my summer time, because it kind of felt like a semester away at school. Except instead of classes and studying it was working and more working. And instead of getting excited over school spirit and football games, it was getting excited over your favorite Disney princess. (Team Rapunzel in case anyone cares)

I kid you not, that is where I lived... My address was "the middle of the freakin' ocean, Planet Earth"

I got engaged! I flew to Canada on one hour of sleep to visit Fiance's family in Alberta. I spent the entire drive to the romantic destination complaining about how hungry and tired I was from flying, not knowing he was about to propose in front of the "mountains I've already seen before... why are we here and not getting food?!"

That's really what it looked like, I promise! And yes it's summer time... In Canada... eh?
It was a moment I will never forget. And it was perfect. And fun fact, my reaction was recorded by his uncle and brother. And it's hilarious!

I ran a whole bunch! A lot of it felt great! And a lot of it felt like crap! Running on a moving, breezy ship is a hell of a lot different than running in hot, still, humidity. I felt like everything I worked toward since my initial new years resolution 2 years ago was all for nothing. I felt so weak, like I'd never get back to the way I was before. I logged a lot of dreadful miles, and then suddenly I felt okay again. I still have bad runs every once in a while, but who doesn't??

I turned 22! And I wrote a list of 22 things I had learned from being alive. Most of it is probably absolute crap, but it was fun to look back and think of everything I learned. I use "everything" quite loosely.

I went to the beach... a lot! I probably went more this summer than in my whole life. And I live like 10 minutes drive from the beach. It was relaxing. And it's definitely one thing I'm going to miss once I'm settled in England. I mean, you can't do this kind of stuff on Brighton's beaches!

Lots of sand and lots of sun. Complete opposite of England.

I got a visa to live in the UK! Waiting for that was so nerve racking! There was always that possibility that it wouldn't go through and I'd be stuck here. But it got approved, and I can move to England as long as I get married to a British person next year. Alright, if you insist!

And now, here we are. It's the end of summer and everyone's drinking their body weight in pumpkin spice latte's and lighting vanilla scented candles. Oh and I can't forget buying endless amounts of candy corn even though you can't get through a handful of it... Or am I the only one who does that?

Are you sad to see summer go? What was your favorite part of Summer 2012? Or maybe you're like me and are already in the pumpkin, scarves, and boots mentality! If so, what are you looking forward to most this coming season?

3 comments:

  1. Hello! Just stumbled onto your blog today :) I love your blog- it's so original and cute. Also- it's so exicting that you are moving to the UK! I've always wanted to live there- congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your move, I also moved to the UK to be with my fiance (turned husband) and now we are back in the US, but it was a lot of fun, even with the stress :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by! I love reading what you have to say, so feel free to leave a comment!